Thursday, December 19, 2013

Bruts Date

It's been a while since I met Maple so after one dinner together, we made another appointment to go on a date to this new cafe called BRUTS. Tagging along was a friend of hers, CY, whom is a regular customer of BRUTS and so I thought it would be a good opportunity to go there since it's pretty far away too from where I live.

On that day, we amended the plans and went to another cafe called Tomato Cafe which is located on another side of where I lived. It's like...impossible for me to go there to have a meal with the exception of having a car. So, this time we have another friend of this new friend, Elayne. 

Tomato Cafe is best known with their pasta and chicken chop. Me, being an avid carbonara pasta fan would be more than willingly taste their pasta regardless of its cost. If possible, I would love to embark on the journey of tasting all the carbonara pasta from every restaurant that sells it :3





So with no doubt I ordered this herb carbonara pasta. You might wonder what was the powdery white thing on it, it's no sugar, nor it is flour, it is actually shredded parmesan cheese into powder form.


Look at dem cheeeeeeeeeseeeee!!!!!!! FYI, I LOVE CHEESE.
The carbonara spaghetti is not that greasy I think because of the mushroom and the smoked bacon that gives freshness to it. I think choosing parmesan as the cheese is brilliant because it also offset that greasiness.




These are the other dishes that my friend ordered. The top one would be Herb bolognaise pasta and the bottom one is herb bolognaise with chicken chop.

Next stop, we proceed our second round at BRUT.


We went there with a plan to order the most expensive dessert that is rumored to have alcohol. Interesting right? But before that, we kickstarted by ordering the "appetizer" dessert which is brownie!


It was oh-my-god soft! I mean, in the past the brownie that I knew was just dark chocolate cake and nothing more. I never knew brownie was to be so soft to the extend that it felt almost like liquid!



Finally came our "main dish"- Crème Suzette. What is Crème Suzette? It is a French traditional dessert. According to the cook, to get one of these, it would cost about 40 dollars to get it in France or Singapore. My friend asked, then why do you charge at RM20? He answered; because he knew us students wouldn’t be able to afford it. I almost asked him, so do you think you could cook it as well as the French? I supposed that would be rude.




This cook is...quite special. While we were having our conversation while waiting our desserts to be served, this guy just decided to barge in and interrupt us by putting plates and forks without a word. Taking 2 stools and put mini stove right in front of us. I was..terrified, I think terrified is the right word to describe my situation at that odd, inexplainable moment. To "weirden" things, CY and Elayne told me that they have seen this chef perform fire. 

The first thing that comes to my mind when I heard the word "performing fire" would be those people you see in movies blowing fire from their mouth, like a show. How possibly is that happening in a cafe like this?!

When we asked what was he going to do, then "reluctantly" he answered he was going to demonstrate how he is going to cook Crème Suzette. Ohhhhh...say lah earlier! xD

But I must say I was pretty freaked out. Even after he finish making the dish. Not because he was cute or anything, definitely not something like that but I just oddly can't stop myself from being excited and terrified at the same time.


The chef allowed us to take photos while he demonstrates, so here they are. My friend also recorded a short video of it. Here's the link:


First of all, let the sugar melt in the frying pan



Put in some butter and mix them together



Then pour in the orange juice and let it blend. After that put in the pan cakes for awhile.


Then pour in the brandy.


 


You may wonder will we be drunk after tasting this since there is alcohol.
Well, truth is, once the brandy is poured, the alcohol will evaporate and thus explains the flame.
So what’s left would only be the taste of the brandy. This dish can be bitter by adding more brandy but we rejected it.


So the way to taste this dish is by tasting the orange brandy sauce. It can be bitter, so to kill that bitter taste, you could eat some vanilla ice cream. But once you feel that it’s too sweet, you could then replace that sweetness with a bit of sourness from the orange. Then the cycle goes on like that.



Personally, I tasted mandarin orange flavor instead of brandy but there is a slight numbness at the end. I suppose that would be the brandy. The others would be pancakes and vanilla ice cream left. Although we might not taste any brandy flavor, I can feel myself getting heaty all over my face and my throat. My friend’s face even turned red and there are rashes across her neck. We were given water but we weren’t sure if that does any specific purpose towards the dish. Probably just to cool us down. I mean, I was like laughing and slightly terrified ever since the cook started demonstrating the dish in front of us until the end :/

Seriously the cook is downright….you can say it weird, creepy or just artistic. But one thing for sure that he’s such a flirt. I mean he sort of gave my friend a pick up line. “Can you look over my shop for a moment because we are going out for a while.” He came over and told my friend.

I mean seriously, does any shop owner just ask a random customer to look over their shop?! Well, probably he was familiar with that friend of mine that’s why. But I call that a pick up line. My friends thought I was being overwhelmed and over excited by this edgy, flirtatious owner. Yes he looks artistic, but I’m not that flattered. Maybe I changed *shrugs*

Besides, when I went over to make my payment, he was pouring ice to this cylinder and using something that looks like a screwdriver to stir it. I asked,

“What’s this?”
“Water.”
“What’s it for?”
 (I mean…LOOK AT THAT, HOW ON EARTH WOULD WE CONSIDER IT AS A CUP FOR DRINKING?! AND THAT SCREW DRIVER…)
“Give it to your friend.”
“LOL, ok”

Was he trying to be special or mysterious? Artistic? That’s a bit weird I would say. I mean sorry I’m not yet an expert in culinary or arts.

Side note: Please do not clean the dishes when people have not finish their meal. I understand you probably need to clean up since you’re closing but I think it’s just rude.
Well, anyhow it’s been an enjoyable trip there. These friends are just crazy. Wished we could spend more time together :(

Anyhow, Brut is a pretty nice cafe and I can see how much dedication and effort is put into this shop.








No comments:

Post a Comment